.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Milton J. Madison - An American Refugee Now Living in China, Where Liberty is Ascending

Federalism, Free Markets and the Liberty To Let One's Mind Wander. I Am Very Worried About the Fate of Liberty in the USA, Where Government is Taking people's Lives ____________________________________________________________________________________________ "Extremism in defense of liberty is no vice. Tolerance in the face of tyranny is no virtue." -Barry Goldwater-

Thursday, June 23, 2005

Irritating....

Why do people like me get accosted every time at Star Ferry or around TST by the cheap tailoring/copy watch crowd? Because us white males are idiots and buy this trash. When my wife's company sends visitors over from the US, they inevitably ask her where they can buy copy watches as gag gifts for their friends back home. So its just not a supply problem, its a demand problem.

There is a fellow on the Hong Kong side at Star Ferry, he looks like he may be African, that approaches me several times a week waving his sales literature in my face. I always give him the evil eye, but he must never recognize me since all us white folk look the same anyway.

Once my son and I were walking out of Star Ferry and a lady tried to jam some flyers into my hands. When I refused, she shoved them in my son's face. When he refused, she PUSHED him. Jeez. She had a worried look on her face when I gave her a piece of my mind in choice 4 letter words in various combinations at the top of my lungs.

My Chinese friend never gets approached by these schiesters, but he has other problems. Down in Wanchai, despite him being an a-typical heavy drinking Chinese, gets asked to pay cover charge at the door of such fine establishments as Laguna and Neptune. He always gets angry about it, but he shouldn't bother getting upset, since we all have our racial profiling problems here in Hong Kong.

But what was really irritating to me was one of the drivers on my golfing trip in Bangkok. The regular driver we hire had to take his mother to the hospital so he arranged a new guy to take us golfing that morning.

He started out a pleasant enough fella but then he asked us what we were doing after golf that day. I said I was going back to rest. He suggested taking us to a massage place that he knows. Please no. He told us all his regular customers like the place. You can just sit down and have a drink and chat, get a massage or more. He explained, in his Thai accent... Fu han, 500 ba, fu mou, 1000 ba. Some people think that Thailand is a great place to visit for guys. It is fun, but its not just irritating to have to listen to this stuff, its outright rude. And this idiot just wouldn't stop. He kept on yapping about this place and how he wanted to take us, even though he doesn't get a commission. Riiiiigggggghhhhhttttttt.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home