.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Milton J. Madison - An American Refugee Now Living in China, Where Liberty is Ascending

Federalism, Free Markets and the Liberty To Let One's Mind Wander. I Am Very Worried About the Fate of Liberty in the USA, Where Government is Taking people's Lives ____________________________________________________________________________________________ "Extremism in defense of liberty is no vice. Tolerance in the face of tyranny is no virtue." -Barry Goldwater-

Saturday, October 15, 2005

Don't Patronize Fenwicks....

Sometimes, the greed of Hong Kong people is absolutely stupefying. Don't go to Fenwicks. Its owned and run by bad people.

A little explanation is necessary, I think. The place is essentially a house of prostitution and this takes a couple of different forms. First, you have your typical prostitutes, in the biblical sense, sex for money. The second are what I call the drink whores. They are Filipino gals that come up on two week visas that hangout there and get guys to buy them 'fake' drinks at exorbitant prices. They receive a commission on them and the chits are paid out in cash to them at the bar. I watched this phenomenon one night in total fascination. Its not a small amount of money that these gals make.

But this isn't what I am angry about, people can make their own choices since they are adults and if this is what they want, then so be it. A few nights ago, I stumbled by and there were a couple of Indonesian maids hanging around outside and I asked why they didn't go inside. They told me that they weren't allowed in. So I took them down and tried to get them in. The guards said that they had to pay to get inside. I asked why and the manager [you know the Chinese guy with the secret service type of earphone that wanders around looking upset all night] came out and said that they couldn't come in since they didn't drink.

OK. Its the perogative of a businessman to allow someone into a place for whatever reason. But these people are so unbelievable greedy. They make an absolute fortune there and is probably amongst the busiest discos in Hong Kong. A few hard working maids coming in isn't going to make that much difference to them.

So, I called the police and reported that they stole my congee [which they did] and that I wanted a report written up on it. Of course the manager was absolutely furious which is what I wanted to achieve. So, I had the police hanging out there for 15 minutes or so while we went through the procedure. I hope that the SS manager enjoyed that 15 minutes, he looked angrier than usual.

As far as I am concerned, they don't deserve my business and please do not patronize them either.

6 Comments:

At 4:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mr Wu is the manager's name and he operates a similar admissions policy for Nepalese, (sometimes) HK Chinese, US servicemen. Indonesians mostly go to Laguna & Boracay, where they are welcome, so I wouldn't feel too concerned about the girls outside. They may not have been maids anywhere. There are plenty of overstay part-time whores around the doors there as well.

Mr Wu's wife holds the purse strings and she can be seen near the girls' drinks ticket counter with mountains of cash. I'm told she is not entirely honest with the girls either.

The latest trick from the girls is to order Tequila-Rock&Roll (watered down) which is actually two drinks, costs the punter around HK$140 from which the girls get between HK$80-100.

His door staff are also difficult and untrustworthy, and will change for keeping bags according to mood.

But - the bar does have the most and best looking girls in town, so blokes keep coming back.

 
At 5:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm surprised that you're surprised at Fenwick's drinks commission game.

Some bars rely on music or ambience to sell over-priced drinks. Fenwick goes straight for the lechers.

It also supplies rent-boys and transvestites.

 
At 7:56 PM, Blogger glenzo said...

I for one am not suprised, I don't really care about that. What I am angry about is the amazing greed by these owners as I stated in my piece.

 
At 1:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You'll be happy to know the Fenwick's is closing. I'm happy.

I gotta say, I don't quite understand your complaint though. You wouldn't let a load of people go into a restaurant to sit at your table and not buy food... why let people go into your bar to stand around and not buy drinks [or prostitutes]? This is nothing new for Hong Kong or any other bar or club in a major city. They don't make a living on friendliness.

 
At 4:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

One word.. HOES!!!!!!!!!

 
At 11:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's a really petty reason to be so upset at the place. And also to have called the police to serve as your own personal vendetta force is inappropriate. I can understand if a place doesn't want to become the hang out for Hong Kong's non-drinking domestic help. And as a business it's their right to do whatever they want.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home