.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Milton J. Madison - An American Refugee Now Living in China, Where Liberty is Ascending

Federalism, Free Markets and the Liberty To Let One's Mind Wander. I Am Very Worried About the Fate of Liberty in the USA, Where Government is Taking people's Lives ____________________________________________________________________________________________ "Extremism in defense of liberty is no vice. Tolerance in the face of tyranny is no virtue." -Barry Goldwater-

Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Despite Having The Best Team Ever Fielded....

Ranked number 5, it appears as if the USA doesn't have a shot at the World Cup since they had the terrible luck of drawing to play the number 2 and 3 teams in the first round.

During the last World Cup, I was in Africa for a project and had to work while everyone else watched the games on the big screen TV on the trading floor. After Denmark's defeat at the hands of England, taking American team to the quarter finals, I stood up and shouted that the "USA was destined to dominate football like it dominates everything else in the world." A uneasy silence spread across the room, while minds were feverishly considering this prophesy. The big glassy eyes of Europeans and Africans alike gazed at me considering if I was serious are just giving them a hard time before formulating a comment. A few guffaws later and lots of hurumphing and weak protestations I again made my claim with more enthusiam. I was actually surprised that no one rose to take the colorful bait that I trolled out leading to a fun argument on the sport, which I know precious little about. Unfortunately, Germany beat the USA 1-0 in the quarter finals in a well played match.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home