.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Milton J. Madison - An American Refugee Now Living in China, Where Liberty is Ascending

Federalism, Free Markets and the Liberty To Let One's Mind Wander. I Am Very Worried About the Fate of Liberty in the USA, Where Government is Taking people's Lives ____________________________________________________________________________________________ "Extremism in defense of liberty is no vice. Tolerance in the face of tyranny is no virtue." -Barry Goldwater-

Friday, October 08, 2004

Your neighbor hates you because you are a Republican

Read the Stanley Kurtz piece in the NRO on the climate of fear here in the USA.

I am an immovable Bush supporter, despite what I would consider an imperfect record on his part. I think that we can expect from him to do the things that he says and to stick with them. The Iraq war will wind down and his ownership society will start getting wound up. I have had four years to reach my conclusions so I see no need to change this. And JFKerry, in my humble opinion, does not offer anything to sway me away.

My Dad suggested to me that I take my support and campaign for GWB if I feel so strongly for him. I told him that I would never do that in my hometown of New York City since I think that it would be physically dangerous. My Dad couldn't believe that I thought this since his political leanings are non-violence liberal. He believes that people on the left are of the same mindset as him. But unfortunately, this is wrong. The left in the United States has always been more threatening than the right to people like me.

Blogger Robert Musil suggests [scroll down] that a climate of fear has descended upon Republicans in at least some parts of the country. Based in Los Angeles, Musil says most Republicans he's spoken with are afraid to put Bush-Cheney bumper stickers on their cars, or signs on their lawns, for fear of physical retaliation from angry liberals. The problem is not symmetrical, says Musil. Stickers and signs for Kerry are widespread in Republican neighborhoods. Yet even in their own communities, Republicans are holding back.

So getting your property defaced and getting your car keyed is the American way? How about the Bush/Cheney campaign office getting trashed in Orlando Florida or and office being shot at in Tennessee? We are hearkening back to the days of the weather underground or whoever those clowns were in the 1960's. Next bombings, killings and kidnappings?

I was living in West Africa during the election of 2000. The Africans where I worked were chiding me 'see, elections in your country aren't perfect either.' I agreed that this one isn't perfect but that we will have a peaceful solution to our election problems. I claimed that our elections won't be determined by brandishing AK-47's. But it appears as if I am wrong.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home