.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Milton J. Madison - An American Refugee Now Living in China, Where Liberty is Ascending

Federalism, Free Markets and the Liberty To Let One's Mind Wander. I Am Very Worried About the Fate of Liberty in the USA, Where Government is Taking people's Lives ____________________________________________________________________________________________ "Extremism in defense of liberty is no vice. Tolerance in the face of tyranny is no virtue." -Barry Goldwater-

Monday, September 15, 2008

Punishment....

This is the kind of noise that I have heard from Liberals in the past....
Near the end of a town hall meeting in Johnstown, Pa., a woman arose to offer a passionate plea to Barack Obama to "stop these abortions."

Obama's response was cool, direct, unequivocal.

"Look, I got two daughters -- 9 years old and 6 years old. ... I am going to teach them first about values and morals, but if they make a mistake, I don't want them punished with a baby."

"Punished with a baby."
Wow, having a baby is punishment? How is that? What about the nexus of responsibility and personal choice. Does one trump that other? This is the article that I took the quote from.

But the bottom line, in my mind, is that children are not a "punishment" or an inconvenience but something that is part of normal living.

During a discussion with some buddies in a cafe in New York City, I stated that I do not support the right to abortion. Thinking like this, I am definitely deep behind enemy lines. A friend of mine defended a decision when his girlfriend got an abortion stating that a baby would have ruined their lives. Yes, it would have ruined their lives. They didn't have a chance of having a life together baby or not and a baby may have compelled them towards a disastrous attempt. I could only talk to that they made their decision and that I am a realist. Abortion will happen whether or not I agree with it. Lots of things will happened that I will not agree with, but I do not have much say in these matters.

I know that they felt that they had the right to terminate the fetus and all that I could argue is who talks for the life of the unborn? But as I thought about it, I realized that it wasn't the baby that would have ruined their lives but the life that they had chosen to live at that time. It wasn't a life that had any future. It was not one where children play any role. They, despite their age, had no intent of living a life of an adult. They, were physically able to conceive children, but were 'too young' and incapable of crossing over into an area where their relationship was strong enough to support both of them and children.

I, for one, have never had more fun or pleasure than I have had from my children.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home