.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Milton J. Madison - An American Refugee Now Living in China, Where Liberty is Ascending

Federalism, Free Markets and the Liberty To Let One's Mind Wander. I Am Very Worried About the Fate of Liberty in the USA, Where Government is Taking people's Lives ____________________________________________________________________________________________ "Extremism in defense of liberty is no vice. Tolerance in the face of tyranny is no virtue." -Barry Goldwater-

Thursday, March 16, 2006

Ho Lat!!!!!

I love to eat spicy food, but I am not as good at it as I was in my younger days. But I do a pretty good job at it.

Well, there is good news in this recent health report...
According to a team from the University of California at Los Angeles and Cedars-Sinai Medical Center, the hot stuff in peppers -- capsaicin -- caused 80 percent of active prostate cancer cells growing in mice to "follow the molecular pathways leading to apoptosis," or cell death.

The cancer cells literally committed suicide. What's more, the cancer tumors of the mice treated with a hot pepper extract were one-fifth the size of untreated mice.
There is prostate cancer in my family. My Dad got it when he was in his late 50's and my great-grandfather died from the disease. So I guess I will continue to eat and sweat.

But all this is making me wonder. After a big spicy meal the night before, my bowels can barely wait till I wake up to vacate the offending post meal digestion. And it is sometimes as painful on the way out as on the way in. So, obviously, my prostate must be getting quite a benefit of all these irritating chemicals.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home